PATRICK L. FARENGA
13 Hume Avenue Medford, MA 02155 | 781.395.8508 | email@example.com | www.patrickfarenga.com
Career Summary: An editor and writer for online and print publications with expertise in technology, financial, and education publications.
• Published and marketed an international education magazine about homeschooling for 143 issues and moved its content online.
• Significant digital publishing experience, including creating books, email campaigns, white papers, using content management systems and website design tools.
Farenga WordWorks, Medford, MA January 2001–Present
• Organizes, markets, and speaks about homeschooling for the online Homeschool Plus Conference, 2014 and 2013: http://www.homeschoolconference.com/
• Creates, edits, and promotes videos and webinars for johnholtgws.com’s YouTube channel about education.
• Blogs about alternative education and manages the site, www.johnholtgws.com.
• Keynote speaker about self-directed learning and homeschooling at the New Mexico Association for the Education of Young Children, March 2014.
• Co-edited and published The Legacy of John Holt: A Man Who Genuinely Understood, Trusted, and Respected Children (Sept. 2013) in print and digital formats.
• Edited and published Escape From Childhood: The Needs and Rights of Children by John Holt in print and digital formats. (April 2013).
• Contributing writer about social media for www.theCMOsite.com.
• Blogger about education and technology for www.Educational IT.com.
• Wrote 12 technology articles for Staples’ EasyTech microsite.
• Copyeditor for Cape Cod Compositors, Pembroke, MA. Edits academic, trade, and financial books for publication by John Wiley & Sons.
• Copyeditor for Pyramid Consulting, Cambridge, MA. Edited research reports, charts, and graphs about the telecommunications industry. Published content online.
• Researched and interviewed subject matter experts for software product case histories and white papers for Ardence/Citrix.
• Author of two books and nine book chapters on education topics.
• Expert author for articles about homeschooling for the online edition of Encyclopedia Britannica and The International Encyclopedia of Education (Elsevier).
NameMedia, Waltham, MA January 2008–June 2010
Copywriter and Marketing Consultant
• Create advertising media kits and other marketing collateral for Enthusiast Media Network.
• Produce SEO content for Mommy.com, Gardens.com, and other enthusiast websites.
• Entrusted with developing editorial calendars for new websites.
• Write and edit monthly email promotions and articles for Afternic.com and BuyDomains.com.
PetEdge, Beverly, MA November 2006–December 2007
Copywriter and Editor
• Establish in-house style guide for print and web use.
• Develop SEO web content for online store, on-hold messages for call center, and other marketing collateral.
• Update content management system components daily.
Holt Associates Inc., Cambridge, MA September 1981–October 2006
President and Publisher
• Contract and edit books and articles on general education topics.
• Create and publish a bimonthly newsletter, original books, and quarterly mail order catalogs.
• Successfully market and sell Holt Associates publications to national bookstores, book wholesalers, libraries, charter and private schools.
• Master of Arts, University of Wisconsin–Madison, in English literature.
• Bachelor of Arts, Boston College, in English literature.
• Trinity College, Dublin—Spent year abroad studying Irish literature.
• Advanced user of all Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word.
• Proficient in QuarkXPress.
• Very proficient using web page creation and content management system software.
• Proficient using Adobe Acrobat Pro, scanning/OCR, and image editing software.
• Advanced user of Amazon's CreateSpace and Smashword's ebook creation tools.